Thursday, October 30, 2008

VS2010 and Architecture

I had a little time left and started playing around with Visual Studio 2010 and I noticed some cool features. There's a new project type called the Modeling Project. I was a bit sceptical about this, because the modeling in VS2005 and VS2008 was not the experience I expected...

In VS2010 it is now possible to create Use Case diagram, Activity diagram, Component diagram, Sequence diagram and Layer diagram. Even versioning is possible with your favorite source control product. (TFS). Now I must have been asleep for a while or busy doing other things, but Microsoft has joined OMG, so the new UML diagrams are al UML 2.4! Now this I hadn't expected.

It's also possible to create Sequence diagrams from existing code, which is a big help if you're a new architect on a existing project. Talking about acrhitectional discovery VS2010 adds a new Architecture Explorer which creates Sequence diagrams, project dependency graphs and all sorts of handy diagrams, which can help you understanding the system.

From my point of view the Architecture Explorer is the best! It's a cool new tool in VS2010, which helps me get a better understanding of the system I'm working with. I can't wait to use it in real projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment